Q: How can Reiki help me stay healthy this winter?
A: Here are some ways Reiki can help!
- Schedule a Reiki session with a practitioner. Don’t wait until you’re sick! The energy will bring you into balance, and that will affect your immune system’s ability to keep you well. A Reiki session takes about an hour. You will relax, fully clothed, on a massage table. Often, soft music and dim lights help enhance the relaxing atmosphere. The practitioner may place her hands gently on or over various parts of your body. The energy will flow, feeling soothing, and you’ll leave feeling as good as a full night’s sleep, or as you might feel after a massage. Try weekly or every other week for best maintenance.
- Learn Reiki for yourself! There are classes available in person, as well as online. There are plenty of books available with more information. For a simple, “unplugged” explanation, try my book, Practical Reiki: for balance, well-being, and vibrant health. (Also available on Amazon.com). The ability to do Reiki for oneself and others is transferred energetically via an attunement from a Reiki Master.
What can I do in the mean time?
Become aware of your own energetic health, and take steps to bring it into balance by trying these:
- Take several times daily to take three slow, deep breaths and clear your mind. This brings you into the present moment, and eases any negative emotions you are carrying around. The oxygen is good for your brain, breathing fully releases stress, and it helps circulate more oxygen into your bloodstream.
- Tune in and ask yourself how you are feeling at key times during the day. Being aware is the first step toward changing what you don’t like. Choose an activity to release stress and nurture yourself to bring yourself back into balance.
- Make quiet time for yourself. Do something for yourself every day. Take a walk outside. Take a soothing bath. Meditate. Exercise. Get enough rest. Drink plenty of water. Eat a healthy, nutritional balance of foods. Treating yourself with loving care will improve your mood, and your health.